Pages

Monday, February 10, 2014

File Cabinet re-do


I have been seeing these suckers everywhere. I walk into hobby lobby and see them lining the walls with their colorful rusted edges and high price tags. My youngest son's room is decorated with metal and motorcycles, and I salivated over every metal drawer and rusty scratch. I wanted to purchase one, but the price was just too high.

So I went to my favorite antique shops (the Consignment down the street, and Grandmas's Attic) and dug through the towers of suitcases, and beat up chairs until I found this. (photo above)

Not only were there a lot of different choices but there were also a lot of high price tags. Tall four drawer metal filing cabinets ran anywhere between $80-$120 dollars. Worst part is those four drawer tall filing cabinets, yea we tossed one a few years back...before the craze started. (waahh) I wish I'd checked pinterest first but then again this was before pinterest was embedded in my life so deeply. Damn site is like a tick. I can't go one day without looking at it.

Anyways...I took this beast of a rusty filing cabinet with a door, which was absolutely the perfect size and I bought it for about $40 bucks. That's still not super cheap but it is when compared to the $200 dollars I'd be paying at hobby lobby.

I sprayed on a coat of colorful paint.


Which I liked but didn't love. It was too bright, and too perfect looking it needed that rust I'd so painstakingly covered with paint.

I added some numbers, and sanded the edges and various other spots. Then I flung paint on it like it was on fire. Here is the end product.

 
I think its a repurposing gem, but then again I like old things. Don't be afraid of old things a little paint, sand paper, and more flung paint can go a long way.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment